It is not necessary to know how to draw or paint to achieve exciting results on silk- whether abstract or realistic.
In this class we will begin by painting scarves using the traditional Serti method of applying water based Gutta onto silk stretched on a frame. We will then continue painting with liquid silk dyes. We will practice mixing colors and working with brushes on wet and dry silk. This can be a starting point from where you can develop your own studio practice. We will also be using different techniques to embellish our pieces such as salt, metallic accents, Arashi shibori and soy wax batik. By the end of class you should have several finished scarves ready to wear and/or pieces of silk to use as you choose.
Supplies that you will need to bring :
Most can be ordered from www.dharmatrading.com or Amazon. If ordering from Dharma Trading give yourself at least 2 weeks ahead of time to have them in time for class. Locally,
Artists and Craftsmen Supply on 7926A Germantown Avenue in Chestnut Hill and Dick Blick in Center City may also carry some of the supplies.
1. Jacquard Silk Colors starter Dye Set (Green Label ) – #JACSS its important that it’s the green label, not red and that it is the waterbased resist (not the solvent based Gutta)
2. Various size brushes for silk painting or watercolor- Loew Cornell silk painting brushes white nylon Round #3,#8 round are recommended and one 3⁄4” to 1” large oval or mop brush (not bristle used for oil painting)
3. Around 6 silk scarf blanks 11” x 60” – they can be a variety of silks, and I suggest: Dharma’s habotai, chiffon , flat crepe
Habotai 8 MM #H811 Flat Crepe #FC-11
Chiffon 8 MM # CHIF811
4. Rubber gloves and either an apron or clothing that you don’t mind getting dye on!
5. Your ideas or sketches if you have something in mind. If not, I find, once you start putting the
dye to the silk ideas will flow.
6. Paper towels
7. White ice cube tray (for mixing dyes)
Optional, but not necessary :
Soft gutta pen (Dharma Trading)
Marabu Fashion Liners – (gold, black or other colors) – Amazon carries them.
A $35- fee is included in the price for the silk painting frame system
Members – $200
Non-members – $250